Applied Stochastic Modelling Lab
Assistant Professor, Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
Email: sarhangian AT mie DOT utoronto DOT ca
I am an Assistant Professor at the Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) department, and the Associate Director of the Centre for Healthcare Engineering (CHE) at the University of Toronto. I did my PhD studies in Operations Management at the Rotman School of Management at University of Toronto. Before joining MIE, I was a Postdoctoral Research Scholar at the division of Decision, Risk, and Operations at Columbia Business School.
My current research focuses on data-driven modelling and control of stochastic dynamical systems that arise in service / healthcare operations and supply chain management.
- Working papers
- J. Chan, V. Sarhangian, The value of advance surgery booking information for inventory management of surgical supplies.
- B. Gorgulu, V. Sarhangian, A Newsvendor approach to design of surgical preference cards.
- C. W. Chan, V. Sarhangian, P. Talwai, K. Gogia, Utilizing partial flexibility to improve emergency department flow: theory and implementation.
- E. Zhang, V. Sarhangian, E. Pienaar, A. D’Penha, M. Ceasar, P. Cram, A. Hope, Design of post-discharge readmission prevention programs using predictive analytics: an economic evaluation.
- P. Afeche, V. Sarhangian, Rational abandonment from priority queues: equilibrium strategy, performance, and pricing implications.
- Published/Accepted papers
- C. W. Chan, M. Huang, V. Sarhangian, Dynamic server assignment in multiclass queues with shifts, with applications to nurse staffing in emergency departments. Operations Research, to appear.
- J. Sismondo, V. Sarhangian, E. Borg, E. Roberge, F. H. Berger, Emergency imaging after a mass casualty incident: an operational perspective via a simulation study, Proceedings of the 2020 Winter Simulation Conference, to appear.
- V. Sarhangian, H. Abouee-Mehrizi, O. Baron, O. Berman, Threshold-based allocation policies for inventory management of red blood cells, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 2017.
- V. Sarhangian, H. Abouee‐Mehrizi, O. Baron, O. Berman, N. M. Heddle, R. Barty, Reducing the age of transfused red blood cells in hospitals: ordering and allocation policies, Vox sanguinis, 2016.
- V. Sarhangian, B. Balciog̃lu, A first passage time problem for spectrally positive Lévy processes and its application to a dynamic priority queue, Operations Research Letters, 2013.
- V. Sarhangian, B. Balciog̃lu, Waiting time analysis of multi-class queues with impatient customers, Probability in the Engineering and Informational Sciences, 2013.
- Reviewer for journals: Operations Research, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Stochastic Models, Decision Sciences, Production and Operations Management, Service Science, Naval Research Logistics, Healthcare Management Science
- Professional Memberships: CORS, INFORMS, POMS